Multi-stakeholder Council for Sustainable Development of Mongolia launched
23 March 2022
- Ulaanbaatar -- The Sub-Committee on the SDGs of the Parliament of Mongolia officially launched and convened the first meeting of the Multi-stakeholder Council for Sustainable Development (MCSD) in Mongolia.
The main objective of MCSD is to support the country in fulfilling its commitments to realize the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
In his opening remarks, the Speaker of the Great Khural of Mongolia, Mr G.Zandanshatar emphasized that implementation of the SDGs can’t be achieved alone by the Government, therefore he stressed the importance of participation of all relevant stakeholders including the public, private sector, civil society and the donor community. He further stressed the greater need for better coordination and coherence between all stakeholders to achieve the common goal – the sustainable development of Mongolia.
The first meeting of the MCSD was attended by the members of the Sub-Committee on the SDGs of the Great Khural, representatives from the UN systems, international development partners, private sector and academia, who comprise of the MCSD.
The MCSD will support the SDG sub-committee of the State Great Khural in its role to:
- monitor and analyse the implementation of SDGs
- promote decision-making that supports sustainable development
- ensure effective coordination between the government, development partners, private sector and other key stakeholders in their efforts to implement and achieve the SDGs
- provide the Government with recommendations on the planning, financing, implementation and monitoring of SDGs
- increase awareness of SDGs issues
United Nations Resident Coordinator, Tapan Mishra congratulated the Parliament of Mongolia for its leadership in bringing the importance of the implementation of the SDGs on the policy-making level and acknowledged the “essential role of national parliaments through their enactment of legislation and adoption of budgets, and their role in ensuring accountability for the effective implementation of our commitments” as highlighted in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
He further expressed that UN Mongolia stands ready to join forces with all stakeholders in the acceleration of the SDGs in the remaining years till 2030.
Please refer to the full remarks by the UN Resident Coordinator here.